Friday, January 29, 2010

The Satyr's Sermon

The Satyr's Sermon came out late last year, and I recently obtained a copy; a small volume, the size of a larger tarot pack, it is a replica of an earlier once-off by Andrew Chumbley - Alogos - and as such, was expected to delight. The expectation was fulfilled.
The text is essentially a set of aphorisms, accompanied by Chumbley's excellent calligraphy. The style, as all his work, is derivative in part from Austin Spare, and in the Wizard's opinion, is the only person to come close. Another author who attempts something similar is Michael Fords Luciferian Witchcraft, but it comes off as cheap and tacky in comparison. The Satyr's Sermon is the genuine article, and is a collector's dream. As a collector, bibliophile, one who is erotically attracted to the heft of a fine book and lured by the smell of fresh Morocco, I can only say that the knowledge that this book will never appear as a mass-market paperback adds to the allure - such sacred words deserve to be respected, not stuffed into a jacket pocket on the way to the barbers. As one who respects the contents of the book, I wish that it weren't priced so hideously that poverty-stricken acolytes had to give up eating for a week to purchase it (later, presumably, a month). As a mortal grateful for the crumbs that existence throws at us to enliven our brief time, I fall down in admiration and gratitude.

Summary: Price per word; hideous. Value; beyond price.

4 comments:

  1. how do you come to terms with the fact that these kind of books are now being pirated as pdf versions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. the artystik side of me faints from the repulsion of such a violation but the peasant side of me who toils for naught rejoices at the fertilization of such thievery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a collector myself, I have to agree the pirating of such works is repulsive, and the I look at people who need to eat and myself as well. and I smile a little, and think good for them who are doing this they are getting these wonderful and over priced works out.. So to those pirates I must say thank you you truly provide a service :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think if one can at all possibly afford to buy these books new, ideally direct from the writer/publisher, one should do so. However, I try to remember that every dollar a book commands over the publisher price does not go to the creator of the work, but to the investor who did not create it.
    I believe in supporting the creative artist; I have few morals concerning the investing classes. That works both ways, as of course I to buy these books.

    The wider question is whether books are somehow more sacred if the masses are restricted from accessing them. And do authors have a right to say that they do not wish many people to be able to view their works.

    ReplyDelete